5 Things: Triaminic Recalled After Kids Remove 'Childproof' Caps
Here's what happened while you were sleeping.
1. Triaminic Recall: The pharmaceutical company that makes Triaminic and Theraflu recalled 2.3 million units of cold and cough syrups after four children opened the child-resistant caps and accidentally ingested the medication themselves. The child-resistant caps don't work in some cases, and a child can remove them even with the tamper-evident plastic seal still in place, according to a statement from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the federal agency charged with protecting consumers against accident-causing products. Novartis Consumer Health Inc., the pharmaceutical company, recalled six kinds of Theraflu Warming Relief syrups and 18 kinds of Triaminic syrups. For a full list, click here.
2. We Saw This Coming: Barnes & Noble announced it will close 150 to 200 of its stores over the next 10 years – just one of several retailers expected to downsize, scale back or close their doors, including: Best Buy; Sears; JCPenney; Office Depot; GameStop; Office Max; Radio Shack.
3. Spoiler Alert: '30 Rock' finale: Did you watch it? Discuss - and if not, here's the recap, plus the best quotes from the show. I'll miss you, Liz Lemon.
4. Ever Wonder What the Fish are Thinking? For the first time, scientists have imaged the brain activity of a fish watching its prey, a true breakthrough, they are saying. Observing neural signals in real time offers an important glimpse into how brains perceive the outside world. In the new study, researchers developed a way to follow these signals in the brain of a zebrafish larva, using a sensitive fluorescent marker.
5. 'Til Sleep Disorders, Do We Part: Sleep disorders are driving a wedge between couples in the bedroom and taking a toll on relationships, a survey has found. More than 80 per cent of troubled sleepers in an Australian survey said the problem had a moderate to considerable negative effect on their relationship with a bed partner. About 20 per cent had given up sharing a bed and slept in different bedrooms. Read more here.