5 Things You Need to Know Today: April 20
TGIFT: Thank God it's Five Things!
1. FourTwenty: For all you counterculture enthusiasts, we're sure you're well aware that it's 420 – April 20 – which has become a designated day to celebrate pot-smoking. More recently, advocates of legalizing marijuana have made it a day to gather and protest "marijuana prohibition" while lobbying for various medical marijuana initiatives. We see that 420 at 4:20 on 4/20 is scheduled to assemble in Concord, at the Statehouse, as well as in Nashua, at Library Hill.
2. Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice? You can thank Change.org for the change at Starbucks: No more beetle juice in your strawberry smoothies. Although FDA approved, the natural, government-approved coloring made from crushed beetles left a bad taste in the mouths, so to speak, of vegan customers. Instead, Starbucks will substitute a tomato extract called lycopene. The downside? Cochineal beetle extract is "commonly used" to color many FDA-approved food products. We'd like the list, please.
3. Ron Paul REVOLution Coming to XBox? With joystick in hand, you will be able to guide Ron Paul across all 50 states as he collects delegates and gold , aka "sound money." Battle along the way with 13 bosses, in total, each representing a branch of the Federal Reserve. It's a liberty-loving gamer's dream come true. "Ron Paul: Road to REVOLution," video game is the brainchild of Dan Williams, 27, a Paul devotee, who has said he's trying to bring sexy back to Liberty. He's funding his project through Kickstarter. "If there's a game about Ron, it's got to be awesome," he says in his YouTube promo. He's already met his $5,000 fundraising goal. You can see Williams talk about his project here.
4. Dead Dolphins: We are always disturbed when large numbers of a particular species fall from the sky or wash ashore, largely without good explanation. The latest casualty: Dolphins, which have been turning up along the coast of Peru. Scientists aren't sure why, although they're thinking it could be a virus, or related to seismic activity. They should know more in about two weeks, according to this ABC News story.
5. Birthday Shout Outs: Hope it's a happy one, if this is your special day. Did you know you share your birthday with: Mr. Sulu, aka George Takei of "Star Trek" fame (1937); actor Ryan O'Neal, (1941); and one of the greatest, creepiest character actors in recent memory, Crispin Gloverm (1964)?